Norwegian Explorer Held in Puerto Williams Should Leave this Week
PUERTO WILLIAMS – The Norwegian explorer Jarle Andhoy and the other four members of the crew detained last Saturday night in Puerto Williams, in the south of Chile, should be permitted to leave the country this week. They were arrested and had the license of a boat suspended by the Chilean Navy.
“The yatch has no flag, no matriculation and some security elements are missing. They are solving these problems. Apart from that, there is a New Zealander member of the crew that has no passport. The Embassy of New Zealand is taking care of it, and I think by Wednesday they should be able to continue the trip,” said the harbor captain of the Chilean Navy in Puerto Williams, Lieutenant Carlos Bañados.
According to Bañados, the New Zealand government thought the man in the boat, Bubsy Noble, was kidnapped by Andhoy’s crew. That idea has been disproved.
“According to the information we have, this man was fixing the boat and fell asleep. Nobody saw him on board and when he woke up the boat was already at sea. He was asked if he would like to come back, but he decided to continue the trip,” Bañados told ILC News.
The harbor captain also emphasized that the New Zealand consulate made contact with the man, to make sure that he is in good health. There is no order from the International Police (Interpol) to arrest the crew.
The New Zealand government, however, still have not confirmed the arrest order, according to information published by the local newspaper The New Zealand Herald. They also affirm that the Norwegian explorer Jarle Andhoy did not have authorization to make the boat trip when he left New Zealand earlier in this year.
The Norwegian embassy in Chile claims that they were not contacted by Andhoy, by the Chilean authorities or by the New Zealand government.
“We know there were two Norwegians on the boat, but the yacht has no Norwegian flag. As far as we know, they did not break any laws in Chile. We were not asked anything by the Chilean authorities, and the Norwegians on the boat did not contact us. If they do, we will do our best,” affirmed the Norwegian consul in Chile, Dag Halvorsen, to ILC News.
The five men are waiting in the boat, as they did not want to go through immigration procedures in Chile. The yacht is alongside the harbor, under supervision of the Navy. Apart from Andhoy and Noble, there is one another Norwegian, a Russian and an Argentine. The trip started on New Zealand about three months ago. The group passed by Antarctica, and the final stop is in Buenos Aires.
On February 22, 2011 during a trip to Antarctica, Andhoy’s yacht “Bersek” sank in a fierce storm off the McMurdo sound. Andhoy spent several weeks searching for any trace of the yacht, but with no success.